The secret to this flavorful meatloaf is in the use of sautéed mushrooms that retain moisture and keeps everything juicy while adding in an extra savory element. Serve with garlic mashed cauliflower for a classic favorite the whole family will enjoy.
Fresh Herb Meatloaf
2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/2 Yellow Onion, minced
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 pound Mushrooms, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh Thyme
2 tablespoons No-Salt Seasoning
Pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 pounds Ground Chicken, Turkey or very lean Ground Beef
1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
2 tablespoons Coconut Aminos
2 Omega-3 Eggs, whisked
1/2 cup Almond Flour/Meal
10 leaves fresh Basil (or Cilantro), chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Parsley, minced
1/2 cup unsweetened Homemade Ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté onion for 5 minutes or until clear.
3. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add mushrooms, thyme, no salt-seasoning, and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Mix in tomato paste, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken broth to de-glaze pan, stirring to mix in while scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, cook 2 minutes. Allow to slightly cool.
6. In a large mixing bowl mix skillet contents with ground meat along with all other ingredients, except ketchup.
7. Place mixed ingredients into loaf pan, and spread the ketchup evenly over the top of the loaf.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until there is no pink remaining in the loaf.
9. Cut into thick slices, serve warm.
*Option: Place entire mixture into a large rectangular casserole dish; shape into one large loaf. Place turnips and a few onions, which are cut into chunks, around the meat loaf to bake while meat cooks. When baking a larger loaf increase baking time to 45-60 minutes.
Health Tip: Onions contain natural antihistamines that may help reduce overactive allergies.