Bite into the tastes of summer with this frittata featuring heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil. Choose tomatoes in a variety of sizes and colors to showcase the uniqueness heirloom varieties have to offer.
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with Basil
12 Omega-3 Eggs
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh Basil, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Parsley, chopped
Black Pepper, freshly cracked
1 Red Onion, 1/2 thinly sliced, 1/2 diced
1/2 pound Ground Turkey
1-2 large ripe Heirloom Tomatoes
Several whole fresh Basil leaves, purple or green
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs together and add 1 minced garlic clove, chopped basil, chopped parsley, and black pepper.
3. Sauté diced onion in a oven proof skillet until translucent. Add remaining garlic and cook until fragrant. Add ground turkey.
4. Drain any unnecessary fat. Gently pour the egg mixture into the hot pan and allow to cook on medium until the edges begin to cook and the eggs have cooked about halfway.
5. Gently place the tomato and onion slices on top of the eggs. Top with a few on the fresh basil leaves.
6. Placed the skillet in the oven and cook for approximately 20 minutes until the middle of the frittata is cooked. Remove from the oven and let the frittata set up and cool off slightly for about 5 minutes. Top with more fresh basil leaves and serve warm.
Health Tip: Basil has been shown in some research to be considered effective for helping with depression.